>>Wednesday, May 10, 2006<<
Balancing Act..
No, I am not suggesting that I am the elephant on top of the ball :) I am merely trying to portray that life is definitely a balancing act these days.

Tonight, at dinner...I could have sworn that I was at the Wacky Kids Fun House. Our daughters were at the table singing at the top of their lungs these various Christmas songs. I don't think they were songs that I had heard of before. But, the girls seemed to be trying to exercise their lungs and goodness knows...who wants to get in the way of exercise, right? Nikolai has now realized that he can be selective in his meal choices. So, amongst the singing....he begins to throw his food. Directly in my face. It was a good throw too. It was square in my eye and between my eye brows. He didn't miss a beat..he started shaking his head from side to side so that he could dance along to the beat of his sisters.

Meanwhile..B doesn't know whether or not to laugh or what while all of this was going on. I couldn't find a paper towel in sight. I just threw caution to the wind and wiped my face off with my hands. As only a good husband would do...he handed me a nice glass of an adult beverage.

We looked at each other and started laughing....not only was the noise level so loud in the house that dogs from Mexico could hear it..but, N really loved throwing down his sippy cup and laughing while it spilled on the dog. Food was flying... it was a moment that either could send you to the funny farm or a moment where you just have to laugh. I decided to laugh.

We haven't found the right balancing act with N's sleep yet. Nor our girls. They still want to come into our room everynight and sleep with us. "Nightmares" is what they keep telling us. We believe that while the family bed might work for some...it makes us irritable. With toes and elbows in our back and up our nose, we aren't getting much sleep either. Meanwhile...N sleeps through the night now because he has screamed his way through the day whenever I try to put him down for a nap.

I have to smile and laugh because if it were quiet and normal around here...then, I would know something was wrong. And that would not be good! And I was reminded today (not that I don't already know this) that I am a very lucky Mom.

We were at a restaurant for lunch and these women passed our table and saw our children and she smiled at them and looked at me and said "You are a very lucky Mom".

Indeed I am.
5 Comments:
Blogger Maggie said...
Welcome to your new hectic life. It sounds wonderful.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Those are memory making days. If they were all little quiet robots all of the time, where would all the funny childhood stories come from?

Hope you can get some sleep soon. Exhaustion is hard on a mom.

Blogger Jennefer said...
I agree- sleep can be hard to come by sometimes with lots of kids.

But- loud families ARE the most fun!

Blogger megz_mum said...
Sounds like laughing is the only option! My girls would also love to snuggle into the family bed - which is very nice if they would only be a little more... contained. Arms and legs every where does become tedious. I made up a little "bed" on the floor next to our bed so they could be there - seemed like a good compromise and everyone slept better.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
Sounds like you've got a warm, happy family over there. I love the idea of snuggling in bed with our kids. I wonder how our Yoshi (cat) will like the extra company?

No big news out here in CA. We are going through May gray right now, but there are afternoons where the gray burns off and we see the sunny blue sky. Michael is back in Chicago this weekend, so I'm sure I'll head down to Mission Valley for some shopping; possibly go to breakfast with my sister in Encinitas. Last weekend when Shalisa was here, we went to St Tropez (in the Lumberyard... was that there when you were here?) for almond croissants; and on Friday night... Trattoria e Trulli for lobster ravioli... YUM!