>>Friday, May 12, 2006<<
What do Mothers look like?
My daughter's class is having a "Mother/Grandmother" Luncheon today to honor Mother's Day. She told me that everything was going to be a big surprise. Although she began to start leaking details, I had to put my fingers over my ears and tell her "Nope...I don't want to know". She said "Why?" I said that a surprise is when you don't tell anyone the secret. She said "Ok...I will just tell Dad" and started talking to him about our day :) Funny girl.

The whole Mother Day thing got me thinking though. I have several friends that have lost their mother over the course of the years and Mothers Day is a very painful time for them. Then, I have friends who are trying to concieve that are depressed when Mothers Day rolls around. Then, there are my friends who choose not to have children and feel left out of these Hallmark holidays. Then, there are my single friends who this day comes and goes for them.

The more that I thought about it, the more that I thought....we are all Mothers. Think about the time when you "mothered" your friend when they were going through a crisis. Or the time you "mothered" your significant other when they were going through an illness. OR the time when you stayed up all night on the phone with your close friend consoling them and "mothering" them after a bad break up. Or when you "mother" your pets. Some of us, more than most people consider their pet a child. Our Lilly (bulldog) is one of the kids. (Well, sort of..only on the days she is not snoring ;) And when you are pregnant...you are already "mothering" that baby inside of you. Or when you are preparing for an adoption...that child is growing in your heart. You may not even know where they are or how long it will be until you meet them. But, your heart is already a mother.

In saying all of this....this weekend...honor your mother, honor yourself, and honor your "inner mother". We are all Mothers, it just may look different to different people.

And to my own mother...I am so grateful for her. She has been there for me through thick and thin. She was sitting with Nikolai yesterday and told him that she wished she would be there when he grew up to see how he turned out. I told her not to talk like that, that she could easily live into her 90's. She said that would be doubtful. I said "Mom, then if you feel that way...would you please look out for us in heaven". She reached out her hand to me and said "Always". I had a heavy heart to think that my Mom might not be around one day. But, I refuse to look at it that way and enjoy what we do have right now.

I am very close to my MIL too. I always thank her and Bruce (his dad before he died) for being such a wonderful mother to my husband. Because she turned out the most amazing man. I will forever be thankful for that.

So....I ask the question...what do Mothers look like? Every woman.

Caroline
10 Comments:
Blogger 6blessings said...
Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

Caroline, a special Mother's Day to you with your new little one home with you! What an awesome Mother's Day gift!

Blogger Yeah So said...
Very beautiful post. Mother's Day was a sad day for me the past few years, but now I think about how our child might actually be born already..so I'm sort of a mother already to be...or something like that.

Happy Mother's Day!

Blogger ipodmomma said...
lovely... :))))

Blogger Maggie said...
I've been kind of dreading Mother's Day this year. Thank you for this post. And happy Mother's Day to you.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I've been thinking ALOT lately about our children who we don't know of yet but who are born and living in Russia. Are they still with their birthparents? Are they already in the orphanage? Do they have hope that they have parents coming to get them? It's completely wild to think of all of this.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
HI Carolyn and Blake ... congrats on your new addition to your family, he is just beautiful, just like you said.

I was just referred to your blog the other day and just finished reading it through. Amazing you just got back from Russia.

Happy Mothers Day from one mother to another !!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Blake was very lucky when he met you and we are all lucky for having you in our family. Happy Mother's Day to a fantastic and wonderful mother. I am so proud of you and love you so much!

Blake's mom

Blogger Brian & Rebeca said...
Happy Mother's day to you!!!

Blogger Jennefer said...
Perhaps we should call it Happy Woman's Day instead. Celebrate women.

It sounds like you have a wonderful husband and children. You are a blessed mama. Happy Mother's Day.

Blogger Charlene Davis said...
Wow, very timely and touching post. What you said follows very closely to our Bible study, Sisters in Balance. Last week we talked about this very topic and how we're all "mothers," even men. Whether we've given birth to a child or an idea, we are all nurturers and we all have a great capacity to give and receive love.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the great "mothers" out there. Each and every one of you!

Charlene