>>Thursday, September 28, 2006<<
Crikey Mate!
3 weeks ago, I was just like the rest of the world...first hearing of Steve Irwin's death. For some people, it didn't really affect them. But, for the large majority..it was a huge loss. For me... it has really impacted me in ways that I never imagined it would. I have been deeply saddened by it. I think I have an idea of why it has bothered me so badly.... He was so vibrant, young, passionate and he was so in love with what he did for a living and his family.

I watched 20/20 last night with Barbara Walters because Terri Irwin was on and she was finally speaking. Maybe I am just sensitive or a big ole mush ball. But, I cried like a baby. The pain that she must be going through is unimaginable. But, to hear her talk of her husband as her "prince" and her children...I could really relate to her. I know that was why I was so upset. It happened so quickly and so accidentally, that it could happen to anyone of us at any time. I held my husbands hand and thought the very same words that she said....My husband is my "prince" and our children are our everything. They worship their father like you wouldn't believe. He makes life so much fun and makes me feel alive. I cannot imagine him being out of my life. I know that is how Terri must have felt.

I always liked watching Steve on TV and loved the way he was so passionate about everything. I loved the way that he overcame adversity. I loved the way that he changed the world. It has got me thinking....am I as passionate as I need to be about my life? Children? our world? career? What will I be remembered for?

I think he taught all of us that we need to believe in ourselves and what we are put on this earth for. Don't be afraid to try new things and to embrace life. Thank you Steve for reminding us about that. I am just so sorry that you had to leave this life so soon. But, as Terri said last night on TV....she knows that you are still with her and your children.

Are you passionate about what you do for a living? About your life and your family? Interesting thoughts......
4 Comments:
Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I also felt unusually upset about the death of Steve. Probably because he was such an enthusiastic animal lover.

Blogger Rhonda said...
Yeah, I watched the 20/20 special also. I really was suprised when she said they were deep in this grief, but "would not be victims of it". That's a lot of clarity when you've just lost your husband. I watched her tear up and I kept wondering how she could even get through the interview...I mean, he just died. I thought it was moving.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Caroline! It's Shellie from the Y. I've been thinking about you lately, I probably won't get to see you again since you're not working there anymore. Anyway, email me sometime, I'd love to hear about Nikolai.

shelliek@earthlink.net

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've just been blog surfing today and read this. I too LOVED Steve and was so sad/bummed about his death. But my dad always said he was going to die but thought by a crocodile, but still. I seriously wanted to go to the zoo, my sister-in-law did while he was alive but didn't see him, but got my son a t-shirt. i wish i could have seen him or met him.