>>Sunday, March 05, 2006<<
Money, Money, Money.....Money...
If you have ever watched Donald Trumps show "The Apprentice" that is the song that they sing at the very beginning "Money, money, money...money....". I want to spew a minute about that topic.

WHY is adoption so expensive? Somebody please answer me? Lighthouse Adoptions is great. It is not them at all. But, if you look at the whole side of things, there is all of the paperwork, the Russian side of things, the travel, every little tiny iny thing. When we did the figures...we were shocked! We cannot figure out how come this is costing us so much money. I have heard from parent after parent how much money it is costing them. Everyone is trying to figure out ways of raising money.

Parents are having to go into severe debt, getting home equity loans, personal loans, selling their cars, etc. If it was substantially less only 3-5 years ago, then why in the world has it all of a sudden increased so much? Children cannot have a price tag put on their head, I know that. We would do whatever we could within means to get our son home. We truly believe that he is meant for us. But, at the same time, we are in the boat with so many where most of us have no idea where the money is coming from. And you have wonder if other countries (including our own country, not just Russia, but, others as well) think that we are ALL just so wealthy that we can afford anything. I know that the President has given us the Tax Credit. But, when adopting becomes as expensive as buying a small house out in the country...something doesn't seem right with that. Call me nutty, but, that's wrong.
But, I know this was our decision to adopt (as we have been told by family members and friends) and in turn it will cause us to become financially strapped. We ask for your prayers as we continue to move forward. Somehow, even though we don't know how it will all work out or where it will come from... We just have a lot of Faith and we just KNOW that there is this little boy waiting for us and we are this family waiting on him.

I figure if we have to drive a jalopy and eat a few beany weanies for a while...then, so be it. Material things don't last long, family last forever.

The Lord says, "I will make you wise and show you where to go. I will guide you and watch over you." Psalms 32:8
4 Comments:
Blogger Jennefer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Jennefer said...
I think the problem with the money for adoptions is that they expect it all upfront in a big lump sum. It would be a lot easier if the agencies offered low rate financing or something, but I guess then it would feel like you were buying a car.

I know you think this way too, but we aren't really buying the children. We are paying for the services that people offer to take us through the process. I like to look at it that way. It is important that we all get quality help.

I think though that because we see the children as priceless and because we are in such a helpless state of doing anything ourselves-THEY (this is a collective "THEY") figure inflating rates is O.K. The sad thing is that it just makes it impossible for a lot of good families to adopt who may want to- leaving children without families.

Blogger Yeah So said...
If you ever figure it out, please tell me! We just paid almost 4,000 for a home study. How could it cost that much to have a social worker talk to us for a few hours and fill out a report?? And why do I have to pay USCIS $600 for the I600A, just to basically tell them I will be adopting soon...the form doesn't do anymore than that! I think we all would be willing to pay a reasonable amount, but the dollars seem so outrageous! I think they play on the fact that you want a child so much, you'll pay anything!

Blogger Lauri said...
I just found your blog today- best of luck on Trip 1. I can really relate to the Money issue- we are so much in debt its not even funny, we are getting by "by the skin of our teeth", as My Mom use to say. But somehow, someway, it has all come together and it will be worth it. Its not fair, it sucks, there should be programs to help people....