>>Wednesday, April 12, 2006<<
Angry people...

I realized today that I see more and more angry people, including children all of the time. We talk about the Russians being grumpy and not smiling. I can speak for today, I ran into some angry folks here in the 'ole friendly South.

Driving into work, I was waving at someone to say hi as they entered the building...they looked at me as if they smelled poo. A few hours later, it was time to tell the kids to get off of the playground and head back in to class. I was helping another class of older kids get their children in also. This seemingly adorable child turned around to me and screamed "NO I WILL NOT!!!" Ok...that is cool...that is a kids behavior at times. I am a Mom. But, this child looked at me and reminded me of watching the movie "The Exorcist". All the way down to the voice and the eyes. (I could have sworn I saw him turn his head all the way around). He was one more angry kid!.

Then, after work, it was time to go to the grocery store. I was strolling down the aisle with my girls and my basket was full because I wanted to make sure my mother in law and our kids had enough food while we were gone and my husband when he got back next week. So, the pile was large needless to say. A man was walking down the aisle and looked at my cart and literally gave my cart this look which wasn't so nice. It was a look of disgust that there was so much food in there. I was like "What is happening today?"

The icing on the cake was when we left the grocery store. Mind you, the girls were actually angels today. They didn't fall on the ground or catch the food as we drove by on the aisles and grab things. They were great!. So, there was nothing for anyone to be mad at us about today. We put all the groceries in the car. I SLOWLY backed out of the parking space. I am talking "Driving Miss Daisy" here. I look on both sides to make sure no one was coming. I proceeded cautiously because I am a nervous nelly that I am going to hit someone. So, along came an angry woman barrelling down the parking lot in her cart on my right...I put on the brakes. She stopped her cart so fast and I looked in my rear view mirror and saw her give me several hand gestures which I am sure was not sign language for hello. ;) She huffed and puffed all the way to her car. However, she never took her eyes off of me. I still can't figure out how she managed to push that cart forward and have her head turned backwards to stare me down. She gave me the "hate eyes". I was totally in "shock and awe". Do I stink today? I know I bought new deodorant for the trip and I used it already!

Maybe I was wearing the wrong makeup or had the wrong color of hair or maybe my socks were on backwards. But, today...the angry people were out. Come to think of it...I have noticed it more lately. Especially in public. Don't get me started on angry drivers. But, at the stores (especially a Walmart), although I shop there on occassion...I firmly believe that there is a "Angry Moms Club" that meets every week and they decide that Walmart is their place of choice to go and take their anger out on their children. Because, my husband and I both can attest that each time we have been, there has been a Mom screaming and yelling at their child "Johnny, if you look at me that way one more time...I'm gonna......"

If you want to go somewhere where there is relaxed people, do not go to the one across from me. :) I am not sure why there is so many angry people out there. I could be angry if I wanted to be. We all could. We all have had things go wrong, and I am sure bad things have happened. We all have had bad days. But, I wonder how hard it really would be if people stopped and thought about how they acted???, especially in public. What if that person they just gave that lovely hand gesture too had a really bad day and they just needed a smile?. Sometimes all someone needs is a smile.

My mom always told me that it takes as many muscles to smile that it does to frown. Maybe we should all try smiling at others once in a while. Although, in Russia...they may put you in the funny farm for that. :)
8 Comments:
Blogger ipodmomma said...
too many people, in my opinion, are worryting about things that really aren't all that important... it's like it's so much easier to have an attitude, than to be happy...

a long post on which I could ramble, but suffice to say you have happiness in your heart. hold onto that and share it with otehres. some will share back, and for those who can't, say a prayer for them, and continue on. :)))

Blogger megz_mum said...
I know that feeling! Some days just seem to have more of these incidences than others. I agree, we all need to look on the positive side instead of being cranky about unimportant things

Blogger Charlene Davis said...
And here I thought all the angry people lived down here in Florida! We're trying to shoo some up your way cuz there is way too many grouchies around here. And some of these dang fools are toting firearms, so no more flipping people off like in the old days. Actually I haven't done that since that cop pulled me over 25+ years ago. Talk about a funny story...

Blogger Rhonda said...
I agree totally...I don't know what everyone is so mad about. Is it that our society is so stressed out? No reason to be so mad all of the time, it can't be good for you!

Blogger Maggie said...
Oh how I wish Caroline left us with something other than the monkey picture when she left for Russia! :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Girl... you crack me up! I haven't read your blog in awhile, and phew am I behind! I tried to catch up best I could. Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I love you and I have been thinking about you. You are in my prayers! Thanks for the sweet words you wrote about me! I love you more than my luggage!
CBL

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
Hey there Cali Mama - Tag, check out my blog for details.

Blogger Jennefer said...
I love your new design. It is very peaceful. I love water too. I am glad that you are back on line.

I am sure your new son's caregivers and your kids will really appreciate your thoughtfulness of going above and beyond for them. The daily gift idea for your kids is a good one. I might do that too.

I don't know about all of these angry people out there. I once had this very mean girl tail-gate me-following me in her car for a long time- she started yelling that she wanted to fight me. I pulled over and M was with me- thank goodness. He walked over to her and she chickened out and sped off, but I didn't even know what I had done to upset her.

Good luck on your trip!